Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre Commander
About the job
We welcome applications from all communities and we don’t discriminate against any identity. We’re interested to hear from you, regardless of your background.
Do you have experience of Tactical Command?
Would you love a varied role with different challenges each day?
Are you ready to undertake a rewarding role which directly contributes to the saving of lives?
If so, we'd love to hear from you!
The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) implements the government's maritime safety policy in the United Kingdom and works to prevent the loss of life and occurrence of pollution on the coast and at sea.
Safer lives, Safer ships, Cleaner seas.
Our vision is to be the best maritime safety organisation in the world.
Find out more about what it's like working at the Department for Transport.
HM Coastguard (HMCG) is the operational arm of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency with responsibility for six key functions: Search and Rescue, Pollution Response, Vessel Traffic Management, Maritime Safety, Maritime Security and Emergency and Disaster Management.
There are three delivery disciplines within HM Coastguard: Maritime and Aeronautical Operations, which coordinate activities from an operations room environment, and; Coastal Operations, which manages resources and service provision on the coast.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our Maritime Operations group as a Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre Commander.
Under the direction of the Divisional Commander, you will provide management, leadership and governance to your station ensuring the smooth running of the control room to ensure operations run as efficiently as possible. You will develop and maintain collaborative and effective working relationships with Category 1 and 2 Responders in their defined areas and when required during multi-faceted or multi-agency incidents, undertake the role of HMCG Tactical commander. You will represent the MCA at multi-agency meetings, collaborating with other agencies and stakeholders including the other emergency services and the local authority to ensure resilience at a tactical level.
The role holder will be required to attend formal training events, which may involve overnight stays away from home.
A full driving license valid for driving in the UK is required.
Candidates must not have been dismissed by the MCA within the past 24 months for failure to pass the required training for operational posts within HM Coastguard.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Ensuring the functional, operational and tactical readiness of their MRCC (Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre) in order to operationally contribute and provide dynamic support to the HMCG National Network, and maintain effective command, control and coordination of SAR, Counter Pollution and Emergency and Disaster Management operations within their designated area(s) of responsibility;
• Acting as an HMCG Tactical Commander during multi-faceted or multi-agency incidents as required, being the HMCG Tactical Lead (Silver) at tactical response groups, local resilience forum and SAR emergency planning meetings when needed, participating in the Tactical Commander on-call roster, and if delegated to do so, acting as the HMCG Strategic Lead (Gold);
• Developing and maintaining collaborative and effective working relationships with Category 1 and 2 responders and declared facilities, including organising and chairing the regional Maritime Incident Coordination Working Group and SAR Liaison meetings, and participating in local resilience forums and other relevant meetings, committees and conferences;
• Ensuring the quality and direction of all station-related service delivery, completing and recording tactical level OMIs, reviewing management information systems, producing management reports, managing delegated budgets and informing line management of any key issues;
• Having line management responsibility for Team Leaders and confirming officer responsibility for Senior Maritime Operations Officers and Maritime Operations Officers, managing staff in accordance with MCA policies and ensuring staff maintain personal competency levels and comply with continuation training and Continuous Professional Development requirements.
For an in-depth insight into the role, please refer to the Role Profile attached to this advert.
This role requires an individual who is either qualified as a Coastguard Maritime Operations Officer and holds an SMC qualification or recognised Tactical Command qualification, as a minimum standard.
Your excellent supervisory skills and clear and concise communication skills means you are able to confidently manage and give direction to a team to ensure successful outcomes.
You are able to use your leadership knowledge and behaviours to instil confidence, build trust and manage safety.
You will have good judgement and problem solving skills with the ability to remain calm under pressure and handle difficult situations with a sense of personal responsibility, integrity and resilience.
You will thrive managing a varied and challenging workload and your fantastic organisational skills mean you are able to balance and prioritise tasks. This role would suit somebody who enjoys collaborating with others and building up strong working relationships.
A full driving license valid for driving in the UK.
The individual must be either qualified as a Coastguard Maritime Operations Officer and hold an SMC qualification or recognised Tactical Command qualification as a minimum standard
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Making Effective Decisions
- Managing a Quality Service
- Delivering at Pace
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Coastguard Framework - Mission Conduction and Incident Command
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.