IT Network Telephony Infrastructure Engineer
About the job
We welcome applications from all communities and we don’t discriminate against any identity. We’re interested to hear from you, regardless of your background.
Are you an IT Telephony Infrastructure Engineer looking to work on some highly influential and far-reaching projects?
Are you looking for a new, exciting challenge within a diverse environment which allows you to make a real difference?
Do you have a passion for working with the latest technologies within an enterprise environment?
Would you like to be part of a major IT transformation within the evolving world of digital, platforms and cloud?
If so, we would like to hear from you!
The Maritime & Coastguard Agency has started an ambitious IT transformation programme that will deliver improved capability across an expanded IT workforce. We aim to improve all technology services whilst supporting the wider business on its own transformation requirements and ensuring IT aligns to their needs.
Infrastructure engineers support and maintain infrastructure solutions and services as directed and according to departmental policy.
They work in a team of infrastructure specialists and engineers making sure services are delivered and used as required. Works with and supports third parties to provide infrastructure services.
This role provides you with a fantastic opportunity to influence key functions at the MCA, helping to shape and create an environment that makes a real difference for the UK public.
Please note our IT offices are based in Fareham, Southampton and Aberdeen. On occasions you may be required to attend the office for official business, however full notice will be given.
This role requires flexibility as you will be part of an out of hours rota. In recognition of this, an on-call allowance will be paid on top of your salary.
You will sometimes be required to occasionally travel on official duty within the UK, and short-term visits overseas.
Roles Responsibilities include and not limited to:
• Monitor and control core business infrastructure solutions and services.
• Execute and monitor day-to-day routine tasks related to the operation of infrastructure components and applications. This includes job scheduling, backup and restore activities, print and output management, and routine maintenance.
• Supports, designs and implements infrastructure technologies and solutions, that underpin core business services, such as: compute, storage, networking, physical infrastructure, software, commercial off the shelf (COTS) and open source packages and solutions, virtual and cloud including IaaS, PaaS and SaaS.
• Working with colleagues and third party teams, identifies and manages technical problems through to resolution.
• Ensures the access and security controls are maintained to comply with relevant policies and regulations.
• Working with colleagues and third party teams to resolve incidents and return the service to users as quickly as possible.
Please see the attached Role Profile for an in-depth view of the post.
Does this sound like you?
- Hardworking, resilient and flexible in the way you work
- Enjoys building positive working relationships, engaging and influencing colleagues at all levels
- Enjoys a varied and busy workload and can manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Has a track record of producing work that is of high quality
You will also have experience in and be competent in the following areas:
- Demonstrable experience in supporting and administering Telephony, Server, Networking, Backup, Storage Systems and Services. This could include Cloud and /or On premise Infrastructure (Azure / AWS).
- Experience of using relevant Infrastructure systems including performing administrative task.
- Demonstrable experience using Windows Server infrastructure - dealing with support, maintenance and upgrades.
- Demonstrable experience within a Networking infrastructure - dealing with support, maintenance and upgrades.
You will also be computer-literate, with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages like Word, Excel and Outlook, and be able to learn and use bespoke programmes and software.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
- Communicating and Influencing
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Technical skills will be assessed against the DDaT Framework - IT Infrastructure- https://www.gov.uk/guidance/infrastructure-engineer
- Technical skills will be assessed against the DDaT Framework - Technical Understanding - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/infrastructure-engineer
- Technical skills will be assessed against the DDaT Framework - Troubleshooting and problem resolution - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/infrastructure-engineer
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.
Find out what it's like to work at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency
Things you need to know Security
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Strengths, Experience and Technical skills.
We are closely monitoring the situation regarding the coronavirus, and will be following central Government advice as it is issued. There is therefore a risk that recruitment to this post may be subject to change at short notice. In addition, where appropriate, you may be invited to attend a video interview.
Please continue to follow the application process as normal and ensure that you check your emails regularly as all updates from us will be sent to you this way.
How to apply
As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a CV and personal statement. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form.
Please tailor your CV to suit the role. For your Personal Statement, please provide detailed evidence of the following:
• Demonstrable experience in supporting and administering Telephony, Server, Networking, Backup, Storage Systems and Services. This could include Cloud and /or On premise Infrastructure (Azure / AWS).
• Experience of using relevant Infrastructure systems including performing administrative task.
• Demonstrable experience using Windows Server infrastructure - dealing with support, maintenance and upgrades.
• Demonstrable experience within a Networking infrastructure - dealing with support, maintenance and upgrades (Cisco).
Your personal statement will be limited to a maximum of 1000 words.
The sift is due to take place 19th October 2021.
Interviews are likely to be held w/c 1st November 2021.
We will try to meet the dates set out in the advert. There may be occasions when these dates will change. You will be provided with sufficient notice of the confirmed dates.
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Strengths, Experience and Technical skills. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
The selection process will be designed specifically for the role. As a result, your assessment could include:
• an interview
You’re encouraged to become familiar with the role profile, as you may be assessed against any of the criteria recorded within.
Please see attached candidate notes for further information about our recruitment process
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the 'Contact point for applicants' section
To learn more about applying for a role within the Department for Transport, visit the Application Process page of our Careers website.
Before submitting your application, we encourage you to visit our Things You Need to Know page for further information about applying for a role within the Department for Transport and the Civil Service.
Throughout this job advert there are links to the DfT Careers website, which provides you further information to support your application. Should you be unable to access the information on our website, please email DRGComms@dft.gov.uk for assistance.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants Job contact : Name : Thomas Ogg Email : firstname.lastname@example.org Recruitment team : Email : DfTRecruitment.email@example.com Further information
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact Government Recruitment Services via email: firstname.lastname@example.org If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission: Click here (https://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk/) to visit Civil Service Commission
Attachments Role profile Opens in new window(pdf, 431kB) Candidate Guidance for CV and Personal Statement Opens in new window(pdf, 405kB) Candidate Notes Opens in new window(pdf, 823kB)