About the job Summary
Salary: National £49,835 to £60,649 and London £54,535 to £65,431 + a DDaT allowance of up to £15,000 depending on location, experience and capability
Do you have the passion and skills to develop enterprise wide technology services developing a strategic vision for how architecture can deliver DfT’s Digital ambitions?
Are you excited by emerging technologies?
Can you see yourself in diverse team with multiple viewpoints, backgrounds and professional skills and enjoy developing solutions that work for everyone?
If so, we would love to hear from you!
At the heart of digital evolution in DfT, you will join a talented, experienced, cross-discipline architecture team imagining and shaping the delivery of next generation digital and technology services. You will lead on developing core cloud architecture for an organisation which has data at its core delivering innovative transport policy agenda. As DfT becomes a cloud-only, multi cloud enterprise, you will design a secure and flexible cloud architecture centred on zero-trust network approach with dynamic managed access and automation principles.
Reporting to the Head of Architecture, within the Digital Services division you will have the passion and skills to develop a coherent and integrated cloud infrastructure and act as a subject matter expert on designing and overseeing the cloud computing strategy for DfTc. You will support the Digital Services leadership team with proposals on making the cloud environments more efficient and scalable. You will support the Head of Security and Live Services in ensuring that cloud developments and integrations are secure yet flexible for business needs.
You can assess complex technical issues and inform and influence senior stakeholders in a non-technical manner. You will have a pro-active approach to problem solving and be creative in delivering solutions that both fix problems and move DfT towards a better managed, cost-effective digital future.
includes but not limited to;
• Be responsible for the cloud portfolio across a number of cloud platforms including the infrastructure architecture, connectivity and access.
• Support the production and implementation of the DfTc ’s digital and technology strategy.
• Lead, develop and apply DfTc’s cloud and infrastructure principles, patterns and standards.
• Work with the suppliers, cloud providers and operational engineering teams delivering advice, guidance, assurance on multiple projects that provide clear architectural thinking to ensure a holistic and efficient cloud architecture.
• Embed cloud and infrastructure architecture governance through the Architecture Change Board ensuring architecture alignment technical designs, DfT’s architecture principles and standards and communicating their decisions.
• Act as a liaison point for all cloud connectivity including cloud providers and suppliers using cloud, develop common infrastructure components and core cloud applications to support the full cloud environment
• Influence technology decisions across DfT through demonstrating technology value, risk and opportunity at an enterprise level
• Develop infrastructure and cloud roadmaps aligned to technology trends, security policies and business need. Create future state technology visions for cloud environments and infrastructure and develop transitional architecture plans to deliver them.
You will come from a strong architecture background, with the drive to be an ambassador for architecture in Digital Services and across DfTc supporting the business in developing their digital ambitions. You can assess complex technical issues and inform and influence senior stakeholders in a non-technical manner. You will have a pro-active approach to problem solving and be creative in delivering solutions that both fix problems and move DfT towards a better managed, cost-effective digital future.
DfT: Digital Service
Find out more about what it's like working at DfT: Digital Service
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Communicating and Influencing
- Developing Self and Others
- Working Together
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Bridging the gap between the technical and non-technical - Lead Technical Architect - Digital, Data and Technology Framework - Right Click Here
- Governance - Lead Technical Architect - Digital, Data and Technology Framework - Right Click Here
- Making ad guiding decisions - Lead Technical Architect - Digital, Data and Technology Framework - Right Click Here
- Strategy - Lead Technical Architect - Digital, Data and Technology Framework - Right Click Here
- Turning business problems into technical design - Lead Technical Architect - Digital, Data and Technology Framework - Right Click Here
- Understanding the whole context - Lead Technical Architect - Digital, Data and Technology Framework - Right Click Here
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.
Find out more about what it's like working at the Department for Transport
Things you need to know Security
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
We are closely monitoring the situation regarding the coronavirus, and will be following central Government advice as it is issued. There is therefore a risk that recruitment to this post may be subject to change at short notice. In addition, where appropriate, you may be invited to attend a video interview.
Please continue to follow the application process as normal and ensure that you check your emails regularly as all updates from us will be sent to you this way.
As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a CV and personal statement. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form.
• The Cloud Architect role is part of the DDaT profession and attracts an enhanced pay scale which is mapped to capability levels. The successful candidates starting salary will be determined by performance at interview and assessed capability level. There are two components to DDaT pay - base pay and DDaT allowance.
• The role may also attract a DDaT allowance of up to £15,000. The amount, if afforded is determined by several factors one of which is assessed capability level.
• The successful candidate will be required to undergo yearly capability assessments which may result in pay increases or decreases. A drop in capability in any given assessment period results in 12 month pay protection to allow candidates to retain prior capability level.
How to Apply
When considering applying please look at how your experience relates to the role, and within your CV and Personal Statement please provide detailed evidence of your experience of the following:
• Bridging the gap between the technical and non-technical
Experience in translating technical concepts relating to software engineering, delivery management and service management so they are understood by all.
Understand technical governance and able to evolve it as required. Proven ability to explain technical governance and assurance to non-technical colleagues and to both assure services and recommend improvements
• Making and guiding decisions
Proven ability to understand and resolve technical disputes across varying levels of complexity and risk. Ability to build consensus around solutions and to explain clearly how the decision has been reached
Experience in developing strategies, patterns, standards, policies, roadmaps and vision statements. Able to support business areas in developing technology ad digital strategies and roadmaps to meet business needs
• Turning business problems into technical design
Experience in designing systems collaboratively with business and technology stakeholders to address business problems that address of risk, impact and business or technical complexity.
• Understanding the whole context
Demonstrate an understanding of trends and practices in the wider technology field and within the organisation and how these will impact on architecture and technology growth. Demonstrate how you anticipate problems before they occur
Demonstrate pride and passion for public service and how you create and engage others in delivering a shared vision that values difference, diversity and inclusion, ensuring fairness and opportunity for all.
• Enterprise architecture
Experience at operating at an enterprise level, with a focus across the whole, not restricted to domain level, i.e. the technology domain, and or a business unit. Ability to describe business need in the context of as-is or target capabilities and strategically align potential solutions to a departmental technology roadmap.
• Acknowledged Subject matter expert in a technology domain
Proven ability at leading the delivery of solutions in a cloud architecture environment. Trained in cloud architecture and experience in cloud set-up in a number of cloud technologies including MS Azure, Google Cloud platform and AWS. Understand at an in-depth level concepts on zero trust network, cloud integrated end user devices, platform as a service cloud architecture and configuration. Working knowledge of fundamental networking, security, and systems engineering concepts; understanding of scripting or programming languages.
Sift & Interview Dates
The sift is due to take place w/c 18th October 2021.
Interviews are due to take place w/c 1st November 2021.
This interview could be conducted via a video interview, details of which will be provided to you should you be selected for interview.
We will try to meet the dates set out in the advert. There may be occasions when these dates will change. You will be provided with sufficient notice of the confirmed dates.
The selection process will be designed specifically for the role. As a result, your assessment could include:
• an interview
• an interview and a technical exercise (eg presentation, written, or coding exercise etc)
• a full day of activities including interactive, written and timed exercises
You’re encouraged to become familiar with the role profile, as you may be assessed against any of the criteria recorded within.
The Department for Transport alongside other Government Departments recruit using Success Profiles. This means for each role we consider what you will need to demonstrate in order to be successful. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
For further information on Success Profiles visit our Careers website
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the 'Contact point for applicants' section.
To learn more about applying for a role within the Department for Transport, visit the Application Process page of our Careers website.
Before submitting your application, we encourage you to visit our Things You Need to Know page for further information about applying for a role within the Department for Transport and the Civil Service.
Throughout this job advert there are links to the DfT Careers website, which provides you further information to support your application. Should you be unable to access the information on our website, please email DRGComms@dft.gov.uk for assistance.
We recognise the challenges that people with (multiple) protected characteristics may experience on the job market and in their career progression. We are fully committed to being an inclusive employer and ensuring equal opportunities. We are keen to make our workforce as diverse as possible, and we hope to attract applications from underrepresented groups, including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) people, people with a disability, and people with gender diverse identities.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants Job contact : Name : Digital Resourcing Team Email : email@example.com Recruitment team : Email : firstname.lastname@example.org Further information
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact Government Recruitment Services via email: email@example.com If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission: Visit the Civil Service Commission website at https://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk