Savings and Efficiency Lead
About the job
We welcome applications from all communities and we don’t discriminate against any identity. We’re interested to hear from you, regardless of your background.
Savings and Efficiency Lead
Reporting to: Financial Strategy Manager
Are you an experienced Finance Professional looking for your next challenge?
Do you thrive in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment?
Would you love to be a part of an organisation that makes a real difference to people’s lives every day?
If so, we would love to hear from you!
The Maritime & Coastguard Agency is an executive agency of the UK Department for Transport (DfT). We are a team of 1,260 staff and 3,500 volunteers. Our Headquarters are in Southampton, and we have office and co-ordination centres around the UK coast.
Our vision is to be a world-leading organisation, accelerating the transition to sustainable shipping with non-negotiable safety standards and we put our people, our customers and our planet at the heart of everything we do.
We aim to:
• Be the world’ s best performing flag state
• Be a modern, progressive regulator
• Grow UK maritime economy & employment
• Be the world’s best performing coastal state
• Reduce fatalities at sea
• Be a world leader in maritime innovation and
• Be the go -to centre of expertise for UK maritime
Does YOUR job matter?
What WE do matters!
Our work affects people every single day. Whether at the beach, coast or sea, people rely on our 24-hour coastal rescue service 365 days a year and our Marine Surveyors ensure high standards of safety for all boat users. We understand the significance of our work and achieving our vision.
And Finance is a key enabler.
Our Finance team is embarking on an ambitious transformation programme to provide superior finance business partnering and strategy services to the whole of the Agency. We need to on-board serious finance professionals, who really understand the business we are in, the challenges the agency faces in the medium to long term and can support the directorates to deliver to time, to cost and to quality.
The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) is currently in search of a new Savings and Efficiency Lead to provide support in the recognition and conversion of efficiency and saving opportunities to all directorates within the MCA.
Roles Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
• Contributing to the MCA’s medium-term financial plan and supporting the Financial Strategy Manager on spending reviews.
• Identifying and delivering a programme of efficiencies and savings across the MCA.
• Developing a ‘social value multiplier’ model for the MCA which demonstrates added value.
• Supporting the development of analyses on financial impact performance and risk to complement advisory reporting to senior stakeholders.
• Contributing to the development of the Fees and Charges strategy for the MCA.
• Building and maintaining key relationships with internal stakeholders.
• Supporting the delivering of a finance improvement programme across the MCA.
Please see the attached Role Profile for an in-depth view of the post.
To thrive in this role, you will hold demonstrable experience working in a financial management or financial strategy role. This will be coupled ideally with qualifications in CCAB/CIMA, and with post-qualification or solid relevant experience.
We would love to hear from individuals who have supported business improvement with an emphasis on long-term financial planning. Individuals at this level will good interpersonal and influencing skills, combined with an ability to build relationships with a variety of senior stakeholders.
We are committed to encouraging and enabling our staff to develop in and above their role and will support you through further development opportunities/qualifications.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
- Changing and Improving
- Making Effective Decisions
- Delivering at Pace
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Government Finance Framework: Budgeting, Forecasting and Costing (Level 3)
- Government Finance Framework: Strategic Analysis and Insight (Level 3)
- Government Finance Framework: Oral and Written Presentation Skills (Level 3)
- Government Finance Framework: Data and Analysis Interpretation (Level 3)
- Government Finance Framework: Proactive Problem Resolution (Level 3)
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.
Find out what it's like to work at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency
Things you need to know Security
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
We are closely monitoring the situation regarding the coronavirus, and will be following central Government advice as it is issued. There is therefore a risk that recruitment to this post may be subject to change at short notice. In addition, where appropriate, you may be invited to attend a video interview.
Please continue to follow the application process as normal and ensure that you check your emails regularly as all updates from us will be sent to you this way.
As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a CV and personal statement. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form.
To apply for this role, you will need to provide detailed evidence of your knowledge and experience of the following sift criteria within your CV and Personal Statement:
- Part qualified or qualified CCAB / CIMA with significant work experience
- Relevant experience in a financial management or financial strategy role
- Strategic analysis and insight and interpretation of data
- Track record of business improvement or long-term financial planning
- Proactive problem resolution
- Good interpersonal and influencing skills , including oral and written presentation skills
The sift is due to take place from 26th October 2021.
Interviews/assessments are likely to be held week commencing 8th November 2021.
We will try to meet the dates set out in the advert. There may be occasions when these dates will change. You will be provided with sufficient notice of the confirmed dates.
This vacancy is using Success Profiles. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
The selection process will be designed specifically for the role. As a result, your assessment could include:
• an interview
• an interview with one or more exercises
• a full day of activities including interactive, written and timed exercises
You’re encouraged to become familiar with the role profile, as you may be assessed against any of the criteria recorded within.
Please see attached candidate notes for further information about our recruitment process
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the 'Contact point for applicants' section
To learn more about applying for a role within the Department for Transport, visit the Application Process page of our Careers website.
Before submitting your application, we encourage you to visit our Things You Need to Know page for further information about applying for a role within the Department for Transport and the Civil Service.
Throughout this job advert there are links to the DfT Careers website, which provides you further information to support your application. Should you be unable to access the information on our website, please email DRGComms@dft.gov.uk for assistance.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants Job contact : Name : Peter Holt Email : Peter.Holt@mcga.gov.uk Recruitment team : Email : firstname.lastname@example.org Further information
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact Government Recruitment Services via email: email@example.com If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission: Click here (https://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk/) to visit Civil Service Commission
Attachments 20211005 Savings and Efficiency Lead - Role Profile Opens in new window(pdf, 121kB) Government Finance Framework Opens in new window(pdf, 612kB) Candidate Guidance for CV and Personal Statement Opens in new window(pdf, 405kB) Candidate Notes Opens in new window(pdf, 823kB)