Birmingham, Leeds, London
About the job Summary
We recognise the challenges that people with (multiple) protected characteristics may experience on the job market and in their career progression. We are fully committed to being an inclusive employer and ensuring equal opportunities. We are keen to make our workforce as diverse as possible, and we hope to attract applications from underrepresented groups, including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) people, people with a disability, and people with gender diverse identities.
Are you a Property Professional with experience in managing complex portfolios?
Do you have experience with Commercial Property and Asset Management?
Would you like the opportunity to work on major national transport schemes such HS2?
If so, we'd love to hear from you!
The Department for Transport (DfT) and its arm’s length bodies such as Network Rail, Highways England and HS2 are leading investment, innovation and change in delivering a modern, technologically advanced transport system across the UK. Our investment in infrastructure and connectivity unlocks growth, jobs, skills and opportunity across the UK. Our transport networks deliver goods to our shops, get people to work and reunite us with our loved ones. We need forward-thinking, flexible team players to help design, develop and shape the decisions that will make the UK a country that works for everyone.
Group Property provide property leadership across DfT’s agencies and arms-length bodies and have direct responsibility for the Department’s central estate covering the whole property lifecycle. Our people take pride from being involved in work that acts in the public interest and balances the importance of gaining keen commercial outcomes with generating excellent public value. It’s an opportunity to make a difference, working on projects that impact peoples lives.
As a Principal Surveyor you will provide professional portfolio management and advice in a wide range of settings and asset types including property management, retail development, de risking and disposal of development land, delivering administrative office accommodation, and acquiring and managing land for construction of HS2 and other transport schemes.
As a Principal Surveyor with DfT you will have the opportunity to get involved in a wide variety of projects. No one day is the same so you will be continuously challenged and there are plenty of opportunities to learn and grow, professionally and personally.
Include but not limited to
• Effectively managing the DfT property portfolio to maximise value, reduce costs, enhance long term value and increase returns, with a focus on both financial performance and social and economic benefits.
• Take ownership for identifying and executing value add opportunities and asset management initiatives across the assets.
• Delivering commercial arrangements (including leases and acquisitions) which meet the Department’s needs.
• Act as an “intelligent client” to our supply chain and property managers on all property management issues.
• Working with Senior colleagues in developing and delivering the Department’s property strategy in line with wider Government policy
• Maximising property regeneration opportunity from DfT assets through development enabling work and ensuring asset disposals meet departmental objectives and represent best value.
• Undertake budgeting, forecasting and financial management in respect of the Department’s property portfolio which is valued at circa £3bn.
• Managing and advising on cross DfT Group initiatives and policies
Full Role Profile
You will be a member of the RICS (or equivalent) with experience working in a professional property team, leading on projects, and delivering advice to clients. Due to the nature of our work there can be some complex stakeholder relationships so the ability to successfully work with though this is essential for the role. You'll be able to produce quality reports and effectively deliver the analysis these provide when making decisions. This role would suit someone who is looking for a challenging yet rewarding role with the opportunity to develop professionally.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Making Effective Decisions
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivering at Pace
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Government Property Career Framework Framework Here
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.
Find out more about what it's like working at the Department for Transport.
Things you need to know Security
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Strengths, Experience and Technical skills.
We are closely monitoring the situation regarding the coronavirus, and will be following central Government advice as it is issued. There is therefore a risk that recruitment to this post may be subject to change at short notice. In addition, where appropriate, you may be invited to attend a video interview.
Please continue to follow the application process as normal and ensure that you check your emails regularly as all updates from us will be sent to you this way.
As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a CV and personal statement. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form.
The sift is due to take place week commencing 26th July 2021.
Interviews/assessments are likely to be held week commencing 9th August 2021.
How to apply:
When considering your experience, please tailor your CV/Personal Statement to provide evidence of:
• Experience of maintaining effective relationships at senior levels to understand stakeholders’ needs and priorities
• Experience of working with senior leaders to plan, advise, and support delivery of major property projects
• Managing expectations, making quick and well-judged decisions based on a sound understanding of client requirements and the business context
• Experience of reviewing data in detail, observing patterns and drawing logical conclusions.
• Experience of explaining property matters and reports to others. Presenting data and explaining reports to policy colleagues who may not have a background in property
This interview could be conducted via a video interview, details of which will be provided to you should you be selected for interview.
We will try to meet the dates set out in the advert. There may be occasions when these dates will change. You will be provided with sufficient notice of the confirmed dates.
The selection process will be designed specifically for the role. As a result, your assessment could include:
• an interview
• an interview with one or more exercises
You’re encouraged to become familiar with the role profile, as you may be assessed against any of the criteria recorded within.
The Department for Transport alongside other Government Departments recruit using Success Profiles. This means for each role we consider what you will need to demonstrate in order to be successful. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
For further information on Success Profiles visit our Careers website.
Candidates that are near misses at interview may be offered a similar position at a lower grade.
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the 'Contact point for applicants' section
To learn more about applying for a role within the Department for Transport, visit the Application Process page of our Careers website.
Before submitting your application, we encourage you to visit our Things You Need to Know page for further information about applying for a role within the Department for Transport and the Civil Service.
Throughout this job advert there are links to the DfT Careers website, which provides you further information to support your application. Should you be unable to access the information on our website, please email [email protected] for assistance.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact Government Recruitment Services via email: [email protected] If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission: Visit the Civil Service Commission website at https://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk