Senior Platform Engineer
About the job Summary
Salary: £38,654 to £42,521 National & £42,466 to £46,714 London
Reporting to: Head of software Development.
Are you an experienced Devops Engineer?
Are you passionate about owning, supporting and developing cloud applications?
Would you like to work with the DfT as they become a cloud only department?
If so, we would love to hear from you!
We recognise the challenges that people with (multiple) protected characteristics may experience on the job market and in their career progression. We are fully committed to?being?an inclusive employer and ensuring equal opportunities. We are keen to make our workforce as diverse as possible, and we hope to attract applications from underrepresented groups, including?Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) people, people with a disability, and people with gender diverse identities.?
The Department for Transport (DfT) works to support the transport network that helps UK citizens, businesses, good and services travelling around the country. We plan and invest in transport infrastructure to the UK moving.
Our Digital Service teams are currently:
• Provide the Digital, Data and Technology capabilities that equip everyone to work.
• Drive efficiency by optimising the Department’s business processes.
• Increase workforce productivity by delivering smarter, better services and a digital culture.
• Provide advice and expertise to policymakers on the impact of technology in the transport system.
As a Senior Devops Engineer, you will be responsible for leading the CI/CD technical design, development, support and delivery of digital solutions, services and interfaces, applying Devops mentality with a team of software developers, UX designers, data engineers and database administrators. You will lead by example in the application of Devops techniques.
Include but no limited to;
• Direct a team of Dev Ops Engineers across multiple sites in managing, supporting and maintaining solutions according to departmental policy.
• Be responsible for automating the deployment of systems that follow standard patterns, or components of systems that are more complex. Manage infrastructure for multiple environments through code. Build tools to automate infrastructure management tasks ensuring they are following cloud engineering process and practices.
• Share knowledge of tools and techniques with the wider team and community, both developers and non-developers.
• Contribute the production of the DfT family’s digital, data and technology strategy, taking responsibility for cloud and application platform components when required and instructed by cloud engineering.
• Provide advice and expertise to other areas of Digital Service and the wider DfT community on all areas of Dev ops CI/CD pipelines, Cloud Infrastructure and support.
To be a successful Senior Devops Engineer with the DFT, you will have experience interacting with stakeholders across departments and reach and influence a wide range of people across larger teams and communities. You will have the ability to present highly technical information in a confident, clear, concise direct manner to a less technical audience.
You will have experience with cloud based technologies such as GCP, Azure, AWS and demonstrable experience in Agile Development, programming and deployment automation technologies like Ansible, Terraform or Cloudbuild.
We are different people, one team
Find out more about what it's like working at the Department for Transport.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Communicating and Influencing
- Managing a Quality Service
- Delivering at Pace
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- The skills required for this role are DDaT Senior DevOps Engineer - For the full framework Click Here
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.
Find out more about what it's like working at the Department for Transport.
Things you need to know Security
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
We are closely monitoring the situation regarding the coronavirus, and will be following central Government advice as it is issued. There is therefore a risk that recruitment to this post may be subject to change at short notice. In addition, where appropriate, you may be invited to attend a video interview.
Please continue to follow the application process as normal and ensure that you check your emails regularly as all updates from us will be sent to you this way.
As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a CV and personal statement. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form.
How to Apply
When considering applying please look at how your experience relates to the role, and within your CV and Personal Statement please provide detailed evidence of your experience of the following:
• Significant and demonstrable experience working within a cloud environment with specific experience around Google Cloud Platforms. Note that knowledge of the current stack used at DfT is not mandatory, but you will be expected to transfer your knowledge to technologies used at DfT.
• Experience of designing Cloud CI/CD pipelines that is are automated, repeatable, scalable and highly available.
• Ability to communicate with Business stakeholders around options within the Cloud Platform.
• Demonstration of Problem Management capabilities.
Sift & Interview Dates
The sift is due to take place w/c 12th July 2021
Interviews are due to take place w/c 19th July 2021
This interview could be conducted via a video interview, details of which will be provided to you should you be selected for interview.
We will try to meet the dates set out in the advert. There may be occasions when these dates will change. You will be provided with sufficient notice of the confirmed dates.
The selection process will be designed specifically for the role. As a result, your assessment could include:
• an interview
• an interview and a technical exercise (eg presentation, written, or coding exercise etc)
• a full day of activities including interactive, written and timed exercises
You’re encouraged to become familiar with the role profile, as you may be assessed against any of the criteria recorded within.
The Department for Transport alongside other Government Departments recruit using Success Profiles. This means for each role we consider what you will need to demonstrate in order to be successful. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
For further information on Success Profiles visit our Careers website
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the 'Contact point for applicants' section
To learn more about applying for a role within the Department for Transport, visit the Application Process page of our Careers website.
Before submitting your application, we encourage you to visit our Things You Need to Know page for further information about applying for a role within the Department for Transport and the Civil Service.
Throughout this job advert there are links to the DfT Careers website, which provides you further information to support your application. Should you be unable to access the information on our website, please email [email protected] for assistance.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with (or eligible for) status under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.