An exciting opportunity for a Broadcast Contribution Specialist has been created with Discovery to drive the delivery of premium sports content for Eurosport and Discovery brands across the globe. Working primarily on delivering the Olympics into Europe but also all other major rights the role is key to the success of high profile projects and offers the opportunity to work with some of the best sports professionals in the business.
Contribution Engineering, as part of the Distribution Engineering group, is a small team of engineers located at Discovery House Chiswick whose responsibilities encompass the design and installation of all contribution technology across the EMEA region. Defining traffic flows into and between key sites both for business as usual operations and major live sporting events.
The primary purpose of the position is to help build and where necessary run the contribution platforms needed to deliver Discovery’s expanding portfolio of Sports rights. Working with existing systems and designing new ones the role demands strategic thinking, determination and the ability to champion new technologies and workflows where appropriate at senior levels.
Working closely with the Olympic team and the Senior Contribution Projects Engineer the Contribution Projects Engineer will play a key role in delivering the Tokyo and Beijing Olympics into Europe as well as technology choices and workflow design. In order to do so the role requires close co-operation with home based teams across Europe and an in-depth understanding of the technical situation at each site as well as the centralised Tech Hubs, both operating the largest deployment of SMPTE 2110 workflows in Europe.
A key part of the Olympics role is supporting and establishing the international connectivity into the Discovery Core Network, therefore experience with international high bandwidth TV service delivery would be an advantage.
The position is based in Chiswick Park with European travel expected and Global travel likely post COVID
The role requires broad experience across Broadcast disciplines, knowledge of existing and new compression formats and a deep understanding of Multicast IP.
- Manage, maintain and configure contribution compression systems located at various Discovery and Eurosport locations.
- Champion the benefits of a Contribution network to all relevant parts of the business
- Liaise with the Olympic and other internal project teams to deliver on future projects and services, and manage changes to existing systems
- Assist with management of third party suppliers and their implementation of projects and upgrades on our behalf, ensuring requirements are clear, SLAs are met and adhered to and risk mitigated.
- Evaluate and assess new technologies and equipment.
- Create and update system documentation.
- Design and cost technical solutions and implement them.
- Work collaboratively with and direct hired-in technical and engineering contractors.
- Provide specialist technical support and information to other departments.
- Provide 3rd line out of hours support as needed.
- Other duties as required.
- Educated to degree level or with proven experience in a Broadcast environment, the applicant should be a broadcast or network engineer with relevant experience, and an in-depth knowledge of network design and management.
- Experience of working on major sporting events and willing to work flexibly
- Ability to build relationships within and across departments
- Thorough knowledge of current, commonly used compression standards.
- An in-depth knowledge of digital baseband signals, SDI, HD-SDI and ASI for video and PCM, Dolby D and E and its variants for audio signals.
- Practical working knowledge of baseband broadcast test and transport stream measurement equipment.
- Practical experience of broadcast facility installation practices and procedures.
- Planning and design of optimal systems and rack layouts for system installations.
- Standard office IT skills
- Self-motivation and the ability to advance projects without supervision are essential.
- The ability to deal with multiple workflows and to identify and prioritise their responsibilities in a changing environment.
- The successful candidate will be expected to communicate with and meet a wide variety of people within and outside of the organisation during their career at Discovery & Eurosport; therefore, excellent presentational and communication skills are essential.
- An understanding of the process and requirements of a sports production team
- Knowledge of and experience with SMPTE 2022-7, 2110, AES 67, UHD HDR & HEVC
- Knowledge of workflows and processes in OTT platforms linear and nonlinear.
- Knowledge of RF transmit and receive systems and best practice
- Previous experience in remote production
- Previous experience with LTE technology such as LiveU or Mobileviewpoint
- Previous experience and use of SNMP monitoring systems, such as Dataminer
- Previous experience and use of routing and packaging systems, such as BNCS
- Previous experience in MCR operations and engineering
- System drawing skills.
- Knowledge or training in project management, and project management tools.
- Fluency in a European language, particularly French would be an advantage