Customer Contact Manager - Flexible Working Available
About the job We welcome applications from all communities and we don’t discriminate against any identity. We’re interested to hear from you, regardless of your background.
Do you have experience of effectively managing a team and providing leadership and direction in a Customer Service environment?
We are looking for a Customer Contact Manager to provide leadership and management to the Registry of Shipping and Seamen Customer Service team here at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA). Job description
The UK Ship Register (UKSR) is part of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) and works to promote the UK flag worldwide to Quality Owners with Quality Ships. Within the UKSR the Registry of Shipping & Seamen (RSS) in Cardiff is responsible for providing front-line Customer Service and the issuing of Ships Registration and Seafarers Documentation.
Reporting to the Head of Operations UKSR, the Customer Contact Manager is responsible for the leadership and management of the Customer Service team based in the Cardiff Office.
You will be working closely with the UKSR management team in Southampton to support the delivery of a world-class Customer Service. This includes measuring and monitoring the day to day operation and performance of the teams ensuring Customer Service standards and KPIs are met.
• line manage 4 Customer Mangers (EO grade) and a wider team of 18 staff responsible for the overall performance of RSS ensuring that agreed service standards and KPIs are met
• lead the department by communicating corporate initiatives, setting clear objectives and implementing outcomes of the UKSR Master Plan and the MCA's Big 3 strategy
• report directly to the Head of Operations (UKSR) highlighting risks, opportunities and department performance
• measure RSS Customer Service through monitoring Customer Satisfaction returns, and working with the Business Improvement Manager, deliver continuous improvement strategies and set action plans for improving the customer experience ensuring RSS are delivering a first-class service
• measure success through the sharing of information and best practice captured in action plans from UKSR initiatives and customer feedback
• prioritise and drive staff engagement, creating a motivated work environment - celebrate success and act on feedback from MCA Staff Survey Results and departmental pulse surveys
• encourage staff to take ownership of their own development and advancement. Create an environment which has a robust, fair and transparent performance management process at all levels, delivering a culture which enables staff to identify development opportunities, delegate projects and engage staff in decision-making to support change
There will be a requirement to travel to other locations to undertake any relevant training or attend specific meeting, overnights stays may be required.
The operating hours are:
Mon – Fri 07.30hrs – 18.00hrs
Sat – Sun 09.00hrs – 16.00hrs
This role participates in a rota which covers operating hours. Weekend working is included and weekend cover is required 1 weekend in 5.
Essential minimum criteria
• An excellent and proven track record in providing high quality customer service
• Professional and effective approach with excellent problem solving, influencing and communication skills
• Demonstrable experience of effectively managing a team and providing leadership and direction in a Customer Service environment
• Demonstrable experience of managing performance delivering to agreed SLA's and KPI's
• Experience of working within a continuous improvement culture, identifying and driving/leading change which improves the customer experience and/or team productivity
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Managing a Quality Service
- Working Together
- Delivering at Pace
- Developing Self and Others
- Making Effective Decisions
- Communicating and Influencing
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.
Find out what it's like to work at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
The Civil Service Nationality Rules has been updated following the United Kingdom’s exit from the European Union. The new rules will come into effect on 1st January 2021. We urge people from the EU, European Economic Area and Switzerland to be familiar with the updated Nationality rules prior to applying for this role.
We are closely monitoring the situation regarding the coronavirus, and will be following central Government advice as it is issued. There is therefore a risk that recruitment to this post may be subject to change at short notice. In addition, where appropriate, you may be invited to attend a video interview.
Please continue to follow the application process as normal and ensure that you check your emails regularly as all updates from us will be sent to you this way.
You will be asked to submit an online CV and Statement of Suitability as part of your application. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form.
When considering how your experience relates to the role, please tailor your CV and Statement of Suitability to demonstrate:
• experience of effectively managing a team and providing leadership and direction in a Customer Service environment
• experience of managing performance delivering to agreed SLA's and KPI's
• track record in providing high quality customer service
• experience of working within a continuous improvement culture, identifying and driving/leading change which improves the customer experience and/or team productivity
• professional and effective approach with excellent problem solving, influencing and communication skills
• effective written and spoken communication at all levels
The sift is due to take place on or around 1st February 2021.
Assessment will be held w/c 15th February 2021.
This assessment could be conducted via a video interview, details of which will be provided to you should you be selected for interview.
We will try to meet the dates set out in the advert. There may be occasions when these dates will change. You will be provided with sufficient notice of the confirmed dates.
The selection process will be designed specifically for the role. As a result, your assessment will include a series of work based assessments, including a written exercise and a role play.
You’re encouraged to become familiar with the role profile, as you may be assessed against any of the criteria recorded within.
Please see attached candidate notes for further information about our recruitment process.
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the 'Contact point for applicants' section
To learn more about applying for a role within the Department for Transport, visit the Application Process page of our Careers website.
Before submitting your application, we encourage you to visit our Things You Need to Know page for further information about applying for a role within the Department for Transport and the Civil Service.
Throughout this job advert there are links to the DfT Careers website, which provides you further information to support your application. Should you be unable to access the information on our website, please email [email protected] for assistance.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UKs
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with (or eligible for) status under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact Government Recruitment Services via email: [email protected] If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission: Click here (https://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk/) to visit Civil Service Commission