Software Development Manager III
Eurosport Digital is Discovery's primary drive into the Direct to Consumer business in Europe. It currently comprises two parts; Eurosport.com - the continent's number one sports news website - and Eurosport Player, a leading subscription-based OTT sports platform available across Europe.
The business is in a period of high growth, fueled by investment in rights, marketing, product and content.
We are looking for top Engineering talent, whose deep technical expertise and problem-solving skills are matched only by their passion for design and user experience. Our team builds the user experiences for OTT applications on WebM, Android and FireTV. If you delight in delivering high quality, fast, and efficient mobile device applications to millions of customers, then this is the role for you.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct 2 Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery-owned networks including Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport and Discovery Plus. This growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are looking for a Senior Software Development Manager to join our team in London. As the Software Development Manager III (Mobile Android), you will lead Engineers towards developing new solutions, rich customer interactions, and will work closely with other app development teams to develop and use shared libraries that allow for re-use.
The successful candidate will have a track record of creating the identity for a team and defining how teams work within a larger organisation. You have mastered the ability to delegate both small tasks and larger assignments to your team and ensure that desired outcomes are achieved, even without your constant oversight. You are a leader that people turn to when they want to build something new as you can align with company priorities and processes, and create new ones where needed.
Key Skills and Experience
• High proficiency and technical leadership with technologies on our stack including Android, Kotlin and ideally Android TV
• You are experienced and capable of playing a leading role to design and develop major functional changes to existing software systems, or new ones, involving yourself and other engineers
• You make good decisions when to build new and when to extend existing.
• You provide guidance on design, coding, and operational best practices, and have a track record of applying these best practices to software that you have worked on
• You propose and create best practices proactively where none exist.
• You make high impact decisions driving how and what software gets built. Your decisions are often right, and you are persuasive in delivering your suggestions and ideas to your team.
• You mentor junior Engineers, overseeing their designs, code quality, and integration into a team. Your success is judged as much on your own productivity as on the positive impact you have on engineers around you.