Head of Design
Are you fanatical about user interface and user experience design? Do you want to lead a dream team full of talented designers? Can you drive the success of the digital customer experience, in the fastest growing bank in the UK? If yes, then we may have the role for you!
Metro Bank is changing the way Britain banks and we are growing! As the Head of Design, you will own the design strategy and implementation across our digital estate, including mobile, web, tablet and internal applications. As a key member of our award winning Digital team this is role will report to our Director of Digital and manage a talented team of designers.
So what would you be doing?
• Working with the Director of Digital to set the overall design strategy for the team
• Owning the planning and resourcing of the Design team to support demand from the business, which can mean supporting large strategic projects and small changes
• Operating as the figurehead for design, driving design standards within the team and helping to elevate and grow design across the Bank
• Leading, nurturing and motivating a talented team of designers
• Providing thought leadership and challenge to the business on design best practice and how we can create amazing customer experiences
You need to be this kind of person…
• Passionate about providing unparalleled levels of service and convenience for customers
• Able to work and learn quickly in a fast paced, fun and dynamic environment
• Prepared to stick at something – we get nervous if someone has jumped from job to job as we want people who are prepared to learn and grow
• Care about doing a great job and exceeding expectations with the quality of what you do
And... we are a bank so risk is a part of everything we do. We love people who take responsibility, do the right thing for customers, colleagues and Metro Bank and have the courage to call out any concerns.
We always support colleagues to develop their skills. But to be successful in this job you really do need to already be able to do most of these wonderful things...
• Understand the risks associated with your job and what that means for you, Metro Bank and all our stakeholders
• You will have held a leadership role in a Design team in a growing and forward thinking organisation
• You will have an extensive experience of the design lifecycle, including requirements gathering, wire framing & prototyping, user testing and research
• Ideally, you will have previously worked with large scale, cross channel Design teams
• We need you to have knowledge of design and productivity tools such as InVision, JIRA, and Confluence
• You need to have a proven track record of successful delivery of designs, ideally for customer journeys on web and mobile
• You’d really stand out if you had experience growing and developing a large team of designers
• Knowledge of agile methodologies would be great, but is not essential
Diverse teams really are the best teams. We know that candidates (especially women, research tells us) may be put off applying for a job unless they can tick every box. We also know that ‘normal’ office hours aren’t always doable, and while we can’t accommodate every flexible working request we are happy to be asked. So if you are excited about working with us and think you can do much of what we are looking for but aren’t sure if you are 100% there yet… why not give it a whirl? Please note that sometimes we may close a job earlier for applications if we are inundated with amazing candidates.. Good luck!