HR Finance & Procurement Lead
Are you an innovative finance procurement leader looking for a chance to operate and excel within the public sector?
If so, we would love to hear from you!
We are the Department for Transport Group HR Function and we are looking for a HR Finance and Procurement Lead to join our team based at either Swansea or London. DfT HR is part of the DfT Resources & Strategy Group which has around 300 staff who support the operational business, operating a Group Model with key policies being developed by a central team on behalf of the core Department and its Agencies. The HR Central Services Team is the ‘engine room’ of HR ensuring that necessary aspects of corporate services are delivered so that the HR department can operate effectively from a financial and commercial perspective.
We will look for you to lead and manage a small team creating a culture of innovation and leadership. As such, you will build capability and increase understanding of key financial and commercial processes across HR, as well as proactively identifying the future requirements and financial impact of change. The role requires collaboration and influencing skills interacting with a wide range of stakeholders at virtually all levels across DfT and its agencies along with excellent leadership skills to embed financial and commercial approaches across HR.
Applicants based in Swansea may be expected to travel to London on regular basis (sometimes overnight) whilst London based applicants may also be expected to travel to Swansea and other DfT sites (e.g. Bristol, Nottingham & Southampton on occasion.)
Includes but not all:
- Provide sound financial advice and management to Group HR, challenging and supporting the HR Director, Deputies and Budget Managers in managing spend. This will include monthly meetings, tracking/monitoring spend targets and leading on managing staffing profiles and forecasting for HR.
- Develop financial and commercial reporting and leverage Power BI to produce and interpret information to aid decision making. This will include presenting financial information to the senior management team, providing data and reporting to external partners such as Cabinet Office or Group Finance.
- Lead and provide oversight on the delivery of operational HR Services including purchase card payments, purchase orders and supplier management, administration and invoicing.
- Streamline corporate activity ensuring it is being delivered on time and at high quality; this will include responsibility for financial and commercial activity within HR. This will include continuous improvement, along with change management to embed best practice amongst internal customers.
The essential skills we require are:
- Be confident working with numbers and data, using analytical expertise to develop innovative solutions
- Have the credibility, gravitas and ability to influence at a senior level
- Experience of using reporting systems to develop, create and deliver interactive MI (Power BI or other programs)
- Be committed to their own professional development, and the development of their team
- Have experience of managing and developing others
- Have experience of financial management and an understanding of broad commercial concepts.
If you have the experience and skills that match the role requirements outlined above, we would welcome an application from you.
Our mission at the Department for Transport is ‘connecting people and places’. Everything we do to achieve this is reinforced by our values:
Confidence: to challenge, to take action, to innovate
Excellence: in our professionalism, in our delivery, in our learning
Teamwork: we are inclusive, we collaborate, we support each other
These values define the kind of organisation we want to be – delivering for today whilst being ambitious for tomorrow.
We embrace diversity and celebrate our differences. Everyone is involved in making DfT an inclusive and great place to work. We actively promote a flexible approach to working whilst giving our staff opportunities to maximise their skills and achieve their full potential.