We believe in better. And we make it happen.
Better content. Better products. And better careers.
Working in Tech, Product or Data at Sky is about building the next and the new. From broadband to broadcast, streaming to mobile, SkyQ to Sky Glass, we never stand still. We optimise and innovate.
We turn big ideas into the products, content and services millions of people love.
And we do it all right here at Sky.
What you'll do
This role is an exciting opportunity to join us and lead the Security Engineering team. The Head of Security Engineering is responsible for leading a team of security engineers and experts in developing, implementing, and maintaining security solutions and practices. This role plays a pivotal part in safeguarding the organisation's digital assets, systems, and data from cyber threats and ensuring compliance with industry standards and regulations. This is a chance to lead the Security Engineering function within the Sky Group CISO organisation working with cutting edge technologies in a fast-paced and highly entrepreneurial culture.
- Design, development, maintenance of the Cyber security technology that enables security operations and the overall defence capabilities such as:
- Monitoring & Detection
- Security automation, orchestration, and response
- Prevention technologies
- Provide technical leadership, guidance and support to our security engineers, acting as a role model and providing thought-leadership in practice and application of security principles and solutions.
- Security Strategy and Planning:
- Develop and execute a comprehensive security engineering strategy aligned with Cyber security goals and risk management.
- Collaborate with senior leadership to prioritize security initiatives and allocate resources effectively.
- Reflect regulatory requirements in the security engineering strategy as well as designs and architectures of business services.
- Team Leadership:
- Lead, mentor, and manage a team of security engineers, architects, and analysts.
- Set clear objectives, provide guidance, and facilitate professional growth within the team.
- Lead teams monitoring emerging threats and vulnerabilities and take proactive measures to mitigate risks.
- Oversee the engineering and operation of security tools and technologies.
- Compliance and Standards: ensure the organisation complies with relevant industry, payment, and UK critical infrastructure standards.
- Engage with security audits and assessments.
- Vendor Management: evaluate and select security vendors and solutions to support the security infrastructure, manage relationships with cyber security vendors.
- Help manage the security budget, ensuring cost-effective security solutions.
- · Prepare regular reports for senior management and stakeholders on security posture and performance.
What you'll bring
- This is a senior role, and the successful candidate will be expected to provide technical and professional leadership across the discipline.
- Familiarity with cyber security frameworks e.g., NIST 800-53, PCI and their use in the design and delivery of security solutions.
- Proven record of applying Cyber Security principles in designs and implementations of dependable cloud and on-prem services.
- Experience in managing teams of security engineers, solution architects and working with projects to comply with cyber security requirements.
- Experience with infrastructure as code and its use in designs and implementations of enterprise-level applications.
- Expert knowledge and experience in Network and Infrastructure security, Cloud security (e.g., AWS, GCP, Azure), Data / Database security.
- Experience with use of public cloud services to audit/deliver implementations satisfying cyber-security requirements.
- Deep understanding of the Cyber Kill chain, Mitre framework and how they apply to threat Intelligence.
- Strong understanding of various security technologies (FW/IPS/DDoS/EDR, SIEM and SOAR)
- Proven record to assess compliance with regulatory requirements and deliver required improvements.
- Work actively and independently on improving processes and relevant technology projects toward achieving a common vision for Security at Sky and in establishing and maintaining relations with stakeholders up to C-level across multiple departments within an Enterprise environment.
- Good written and verbal communication skills to liaise with stakeholders at varying levels of seniority across the business.
- · Be curious to learn and share learnings and knowledge with the wider team.
Team overviewCyber Security
Our products, platforms and technologies are constantly evolving that's why keeping Sky safe from cyber-attacks is one of our top priorities. Our Cyber Security team helps the business grow while protecting our customers, colleagues and partners from increasingly sophisticated cyber threats. Our team includes Cyber Fusion Centre, Security Services, Risk and Compliance, Programme Delivery and Business Security, and we work across the UK, Italy and Germany. Join us and you'll get involved in tackling challenges and future threats in an ever-changing cyber landscape. The rewards
There's one thing people can't stop talking about when it comes to #LifeAtSky: the perks. Here's a taster:
Inclusion & how you'll work
- Sky Q, for the TV you love all in one place
- The magic of Sky Glass at an exclusive rate
- A generous pension package
- Private healthcare
- Discounted mobile and broadband
- A wide range of Sky VIP rewards and experiences
We are a Disability Confident Employer, and welcome and encourage applications from all candidates. We will look to ensure a fair and consistent experience for all, and will make reasonable adjustments to support you where appropriate. Please flag any adjustments you need to your recruiter as early as you can.
We've embraced hybrid working and split our time between unique office spaces and the convenience of working from home. You'll find out more about what hybrid working looks like for your role later on in the recruitment process. Your office spaceOsterley
Our Osterley Campus is a 10-minute walk from Syon Lane train station. Or you can hop on one of our free shuttle buses that run to and from Osterley, Gunnersbury, Ealing Broadway and South Ealing tube stations. There are also plenty of bike shelters and showers.
On campus, you'll find 13 subsidised restaurants, cafes, and a Waitrose. You can keep in shape at our subsidised gym, catch the latest shows and movies at our cinema, get your car washed, and even get pampered at our beauty salon. Livingston Watermark House
Our lively campus is a free shuttle bus away from Livingston South train station and the town centre. Plus there's onsite parking available for cars, motorbikes and bicycles.
You'll be well fed at our subsidised canteen, and you can keep in shape at our onsite gym - or play a game of pool or table tennis.
We'd love to hear from you
Inventive, forward-thinking minds come together to work in Tech, Product and Data at Sky. It's a place where you can explore what if, how far, and what next.
But better doesn't stop at what we do, it's how we do it, too. We embrace each other's differences. We support our community and contribute to a sustainable future for our business and the planet.
If you believe in better, we'll back you all the way.
Just so you know: if your application is successful, we'll ask you to complete a criminal record check. And depending on the role you have applied for and the nature of any convictions you may have, we might have to withdraw the offer.