Communications Manager - Flexible Working Available
About the job Summary
Do you have a flair for strategic communications?
Do you want to apply your communications expertise to shaping policy and work on vital projects which impact the country’s future?
If so, we have an exciting opportunity for a communications professional to join us at the Department for Transport (DfT), and we’d love to hear from you.
As a Communications Manager in the Department for Transport, you will have the unique opportunity to work in a key policy area such as roads, rail, aviation, maritime, or technology, and you will be at the centre of communications delivery for some of the most high-profile projects in Government.
You will be responsible for providing strategic communications advice to Ministers, colleagues and external stakeholders, and for shaping and delivering communications and campaigns in support of the Government’s priorities.
You will be part of the Government Communication Service profession, working closely with other communications colleagues in the Department and other Government Departments. You will have the opportunity to work daily with colleagues in press office, external affairs, digital and internal communications.
Your key responsibilities will include:
• Planning, shaping, delivering and evaluating insight-based communications strategies and campaigns – including media, digital content and stakeholder engagement – working closely with colleagues across policy, the communications directorate and with our external partners.
• Liaising across the Department, Government and with relevant external stakeholders, to build and maintain effective relationships, and to drive efficient and high-quality communications.
• Advising policy teams and Ministers on communications proposals, risks and opportunities.
• Providing professional communications advice and leadership within a key policy area, developing strategies and forward planning communications activity.
You have previous experience of planning, managing, implementing and evaluating communications campaigns with pride and dedication.
You have excellent written and verbal communication skills, presenting your recommendations and proposals professionally and persuasively to key stakeholders. You can tailor your delivery to suit your audience to maximise impact and understanding. You demonstrate confidence in dealing with people at all levels and have the credibility to advise and influence at a senior level.
You are exceptionally organised with the capability to manage emerging and conflicting demands in a changing environment. You are a strategic thinker who can offer a creative direction for your team.
Our mission at the Department for Transport is ‘connecting people and places’. Everything we do to achieve this is reinforced by our values:
- Confidence: to challenge, to take action, to innovate
- Excellence: in our professionalism, in our delivery, in our learning
- Teamwork: we are inclusive, we collaborate, we support each other
These values define the kind of organisation we want to be – delivering for today whilst being ambitious for tomorrow.
We embrace diversity and celebrate our differences. Everyone is involved in making DfT an inclusive and great place to work. We actively promote a flexible approach to working whilst giving our staff opportunities to maximise their skills and achieve their full potential.
We are different people, one team.