Assistant Chief Coastguard – Migrant, Security and Infrastructure
We welcome applications from all communities and we don’t discriminate against any identity. We’re interested to hear from you, regardless of your background.
Are you passionate about government agendas in security across maritime and can build strategic relationships?
Do you have experience of strategic level integrated emergency management?
Are you experienced in modern high-tech communication systems and command and control systems including strategic level procurement and contract management?
Would you like the opportunity to lead and excel the delivery of Small Boat Migrant Operations and Maritime Security?
Responsible to the Chief Coastguard, the Assistant Chief Coastguard – Migrant, Security and Infrastructure is a significant senior position within the MCA and requires entrepreneurial, dynamic and experienced operational leadership as well as strategic level experience in procurement and contract management for IT and communication systems. The role is responsible for providing strategic leadership within HM Coastguard and specifically HM Coastguards response to Small Boat Migrant operations and UK Maritime Security. The role is also responsible for ensuring that HM Coastguard has the necessary operational communications and IT infrastructure to deliver search and rescue operations across a national network consisting of one Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre and 10 Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Centres.
Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• To create and inspire an ethos of high performing operational services delivering quality outcomes in small boat migrant operations, security and HMCG operational infrastructure.
• Strategically collaborate with Cross Government Departments to maximise efficiency and effectiveness of HM Coastguard small boat migrant operational delivery and response, and to inform and deliver HM Coastguard maritime security deliverables.
• Work with the Chief Coastguard and other senior leaders to create a culture of a professional public service which embraces innovation, appropriate risk taking, organisational governance, individual accountability and responsibility at all levels.
• Participate in on call roster for Duty Director.
• Be accountable for relationships with stakeholders in the development and review of the 'Statement of Service Requirements'. To enable the procurement and implementation of new and replacement Operational ICT operational command, control and communication systems within the National Network.
• Strategically collaborate with other Agency departments to maximise the efficiency and effectiveness of HM Coastguard operations (Internal Assurance, Human Resources, Finance, Estates, Health and Safety, ICT, Contracts and Procurement, Training and Standards).
• Act as a champion for organisational change, providing visible strategic leader and ensuring teams remain motivated through period of uncertainty.
You will have excellent communication skills with the ability to digest information and give clear strategic direction. You will adopt a forward thinking approach and will have outstanding problem solving skills where you can identify and mitigate risks. You will be able collaborate with others strategically to maximise efficiency and effectiveness of HM Coastguard Operations. You will be experienced at strategic level budgeting, complex operational IT and Communication system procurement and contract management.
This role will be based in the Dover office. MCA supports flexible working and offers a hybrid working approach for this role (between the office and home). Giving you greater flexibility over where and when you work. Details of the arrangement will be discussed further with your line manager
The role holder will need to travel to all parts of the United Kingdom and on occasion internationally which will involve some time away from home and the normal workplace.
This will include attendance for formal training, meeting stakeholders and general work requirements.
Participate in on call roster for Duty Director which will involve working outside of standard working hours.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Making Effective Decisions
- Seeing the Big Picture
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Coastguard Competency Framework - Organisation - 1.04 - Applies an awareness of IMO and of the International Conventions from which HMCG responsibilities and mandate are derived – IAMSAR, SOLAS, UNCLOS, CGA 1925, VTMD EU policy etc As part of the Tech
- Coastguard Competency Framework - Response and Coordination - 2.01 - Applies knowledge of HMCG and others’ responsibilities for Coastal and Maritime operations.
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.